Wednesday, November 9, 2011

This Will Be Joe Paterno's Final Season

Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno announced today that he will be retiring at the end of the 2011 season.  Needless to say the circumstances of his exit are not what anyone could have envisioned for the 84-year old legendary coach.

I won't rehash the obvious reasons for why Paterno is making this move. 

Paterno issued the following statement:

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Penn State's Board Of Trustees is meeting tonight to discuss several agenda items, most notably the status of President Graham Spanier and whether or not Paterno will be allowed to coach this weekend in the game against Nebraska. 

Paterno thinks he is coaching, but to be honest, that isn't his decision to make anymore. 

Spanier is expected to be out as president by the end of the night.

Keep tuned in for updates on this evolving story.

No comments: