Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Another Overhyped Quarterback...Ho Hum....

Excuse me if I refuse to buy into the hype ESPN tries to force down my throat every week.   It's always some up and coming quarterback ready to take their slot in the upper echelon of the NFL.

Last year it was Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman.  This year we have Tim Tebow, who gets more hype than guys who have proven it time and time again. 

I get the fact he's a "good character" who loves God and all, and loves to do his Tebowing on the field to show God praise, but as a quarterback he flat out sucks.   He should be praying to God every night for some quarterback ability.  I know God works miracles, but even that one might be out of his reach.

Tebow has played 14 games now as a quarterback and has a completion percentage of 48.1%  He got a ton of praise for beating Miami, who last I checked was an awful football team (0-7).  Why?  He completed less than half of his passes.  161 yards isn't exactly awe-inspiring

I know he's a solid threat running the ball, but he's a joke as a passer.  Still not sure why the Denver Broncos thought it was a good idea to blow a first round pick on him.  I remember laughing hysterically when they announced the pick, and I'm still laughing today.

Why don't the genuinely great passers in the league get more recognition?  Philip Rivers blew another game for the Chargers last night, and you keep reading articles about how Tony Romo can turn it around because he's great. 

You don't see much about Ben Roethlisberger except a bunch of haters commenting about his legal issues.  Is that the real reason ESPN and the other sports media outlets cling so tightly to Tebow?  In the hopes he magically becomes a great quarterback with strong morals that won't let them down?

I don't care about morals on a sports team, give me a winner with talent.  These guys aren't my role models in life.  In fact people who worship these guys and put them on a pedestal need to get their priorities straight.  These athletes care about themselves first and the only reason they acknowledge any of us is because the teams that pay their salaries MAKE them do it. 

I wonder who the Bronco fans would rather have leading their team right now.  Ben Roethlisberger or Tim Tebow.  I know who my choice is.

No comments: