Friday, November 11, 2011

A Salute To Veterans

When I was a kid, I was taught to respect my elders.  Easy enough to do right?  If someone is older than you, you have to listen to them because they obviously know what they are doing.

There's only one problem with this line of thinking.  Age and experience don't always equal right.

I was taught as a kid that Penn State did things the right way.  I was taught that Joe Paterno demanded nothing but the best out of people.  He wanted his kids to do things the right way.   Unfortunately, as we all learned this week, that image of Penn State was nothing but a fancy mirage.

Our religious leaders in the Catholic faith have also faced their own demons for the same problem facing Penn State right now.  People looked the other way when they found out what a few priests were doing to kids. 

Political leaders are constantly found to be involved in scandals, whether it be sex scandals, kickbacks, political payoffs, lying, or what not.  I can't honestly believe a single word that comes out of a politician anymore, can you?

Financial leaders have also lost my trust as it seems like every month there's new meltdowns on the horizon.  Banks lent money to people who can't pay for mortgages and now the rest of us pay higher fees.  I better not get started on my rant about the nickel and diming of Americans via bank and credit card fees.

This brings me back to my original point.  Who is left for us to respect?

For me the answer is simple.  I'll tip my cap to the brave men and women who have served this country in our armed forces. 

Today is Veteran's Day, and I want to honor those who have sacrificed their time to freely do what they wish in order to protect this nation we live in.  Without their bravery, I wouldn't be free to blog about sports.

They are my true heroes, along with those who bravely serve in our police and fire departments.  Brave souls who risk their lives without a second thought all in the name of heroism.

They are the ones who deserve and receive my respect. 

No comments: