Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Joe Paterno fired as head coach of Penn State

A headline I never thought I'd see, let alone write, in my lifetime.  Joe Paterno is no longer the head football coach of the Penn State Nittany Lions.  

A few hours after Paterno indicated he would retire at the end of the 2011 season, the Penn State University Board of Trustees announced at a press conference that Paterno had been removed from his position, replaced by interim head coach Tom Bradley.  Joe Paterno was fired.

University president Graham Spanier is also out, replaced on an interim basis by provost Dr. Rodney Erickson.

I'm so glad my grandfather Ed isn't alive to see Paterno fall like this.  He absolutely loved Penn State football and I can only imagine the heartache he would feel tonight.  I only know the empty pit in my stomach.

I know this had to be done for the university to move forward, but that didn't make the news any easier to take.  What also didn't help the situation was the utterly stupid questions being asked by some people at the press conference.

A legendary coaching icon was just removed from a position he has held for almost half a century amidst scandal, and someone actually asked out loud "Why Why?" at the immediate announcement.

Someone asked about a severance package for Paterno.  Who cares?

Someone asked if the board thought they rushed to judgement.   Many out there would argue they didn't act fast enough.

NO ONE asked a single question about Spanier!  Glad to know what people's priorities are up there.

A headline I never thought I'd see.
I have a question that SHOULD have been asked at the press conference.  "Can you tell us if Mike McQueary, who WITNESSED a child being raped still has his job?  If so, can you possibly explain how?"  From all sources on Twitter, McQueary is still employed.  That's a joke.

On top of the "journalism" displayed at the press conference, Penn State students are on the verge of rioting. 

This situation continues to get worse and worse with each passing moment, and it all comes back to one simple fact.  It could have been prevented. 

Don't lose sight of the reason this all occurred tonight.  An alleged sexual predator was allowed to remain on campus as a result of a coverup.  The only innocent victims in all of this were Sandusky's victims. 

It's a sad day and it didn't need to be.

No comments: