Saturday, July 18, 2009

Did I miss the memo where I had auditioned for Last Comic Standing?

So I go to Carnivores for the "Top Fan" Contest and we go through the rounds.

First round is 30 seconds to say why you are Pittsburgh's Top Fan. I had chosen to try and be different so I announce it public address announcer style...aka a character. And in there I joke about how I was voted the Sexiest Voice in Pittsburgh.....according to my wife. People in the bar laughed..but apparently the judges missed that.

The second round is to answer questions like "Name a Head Coach in the NFL", "Name an NHL Team", Name a player who hit over 30 Homeruns in Baseball last year", and "Name a running back drafted in the NFL in the first round since 2004."

Given that these are two word answers. Not much room for humor.

Second round was the dreaded "Random" question that tripped me up last year on time. This year, amazingly I got another question about music. "If you were forced to listen to a song over and over and over and over...what would it be?"

I chose "At Last by Etta James" because it was the song my wife and I danced to at our wedding but also I mentioned how I was at the point in my life chasing my dream that I felt like it was "At Last" Not much room for humor in this one.

The Third round was debates. I was picked to debate why the Pirates WOULD be competitive by 2014. Since it was a debate, I guess I stupidly did not see the need to crack jokes for a minute when I was trying to convince people why the Pirates WOULD win. My opponent spent the minute joking and since he was one of the 4 picked, I guess it worked.

Anyways We get up for the Final Critique and this is where the judges gave their criticism of me. This year the negative was...They didn't think I had shown much humor. They did feel I had shown a lot of knowledge and that I had done a great job on the debate about the Pirates being competitive. Then on the spot they asked me to tell a joke.

I have never been a jokester. My humor is more reactionary to what people say. I am pretty good at one liners. The only joke that popped in my head was completely and utterly gross and sorry but I had too much class to tell it in public.

I wouldn't have changed a thing I did this year. I have no regrets. They wanted "Characters" in the Finals instead of people taking this seriously. I can't fault them for it because this probably is a publicity contest for the station.

Can't say it isn't disappointing though.

Oh well time to see what's next.

No comments: