Friday, October 28, 2011

World Series Jealousy

As I watched the final innings of Game 6 last night, I couldn't help but feel a lot of jealousy towards the St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers.  I wish it was the Pittsburgh Pirates finally competing in exciting baseball games like we saw last night.

Hometown hero David Freese hit a walkoff homerun to give the Cardinals a thrilling come from behind victory over the Rangers to force a deciding Game 7.

Imagine if local kid Neil Walker was able to propel the Battlin' Buccos in the same fashion.  Pittsburgh proved earlier in the year that they would fill up PNC Park if the baseball product was good.  Imagine the drama of October baseball added on top!

Alas, it's been 19 years since a baseball game had anywhere close to the implications of last night, and it left me feeling jealous of the other teams in the league who get to experience that kind of feeling.

Sure we have the Steelers and Penguins competing for titles, but baseball was always my very first love, and I'd love to see the Pirates win a title in my adult lifetime.  The last one was when I was a year old. 

Sometimes it's okay to be jealous.  

No comments: