Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Raiders gave up WHAT for Carson Palmer?

Today was the NFL trading deadline, and the Carson Palmer era ended in Cincinnati as he was dealt to the Raiders for a 2012 first round pick and a conditional 2013 pick.  If the Raiders make it to the AFC Championship game, the 2013 pick upgrades from a 2nd round pick to a first round pick.

My first thought was that the Raiders are idiots for giving up two elite draft picks for a guy who has never even won a playoff game.  Upon second glance, I'm pretty convinced this is the right assessment.

My second thought was that it's a shame a division rival got such a great deal for a player who was never going to see the field for them again.  I'd be worried about them getting premium players with those draft picks but then I consoled myself with the fact the Bengals usually screw up their top picks. 

Palmer is a guy who has not been the same since suffering a knee injury against the Steelers the year they went on to win Super Bowl XL.  I don't know how much he can bring to the table considering he hasn't taken a significant snap in what, 7 or 8 months? 

The receivers he has in Oakland are nowhere near as good as what he had in his prime for the Bengals.  I just don't think he's going to help them out all that much. 

To each their own, and I guess we'll see what he's able to do.

No comments: