Wednesday, February 29, 2012

End of an era. Goodbye Hines Ward

Even though there had been a lot of speculation about the Steelers parting ways with Hines Ward, that doesn't change the impact of the news when it became official.

Hines Ward has long been one of my favorite Steelers, mostly because he was a fearless blocker and all around tough, physical player.  He plays the game the way it was meant to be played.  

Hines Ward scores the winning
touchdown in Super Bowl XL
As we all look back on a Hall of Fame career, I'm sure many of us have a few moments of his that really stand out amongst the rest.

I was there in person in Cincinnati a few years ago when he threw a devastating block which broke the jaw of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers.   Cincy fans were chiming in on how physical and legal that hit was.  A few even went on to wish that Ward played for them.

I remember Ward's leap into the end zone after hauling in Antwan Randle-El's pass in Super Bowl XL, the play that sealed the deal for the Steelers. 

Most of all, I'll never forget how he could take some of the most vicious hits in the game and get right up and smile. 

There are too many times to mention how he'd catch the ball a few yards short of the end zone and fight his way in like a bull to score.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy with such grit and determination play this game, and it's been a blessing to know he's been on our side.
Hines Ward and "The Voice" on the set of Steelers Huddle

A few years ago when I was a guest host on Steelers Huddle with Ward, he was nothing but gracious towards me.  I remember him joking about how he always wanted a "Members Only" jacket.  I wonder if he ever got one?

Many fans are upset about the Steelers releasing such a long time stalwart, but it is a business, and I think that Hines understands that.  He still wants to play and I will be one of the many Steeler fans who wish him nothing but the best as he finishes out a great career.    I also think Hines has the perfect amount of charisma and speaking skills to excel should he choose to pursue a job in broadcasting.

So long number 86, it's been one hell of a ride, and thank you for the great memories.

No comments: