Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lucy Yanks The Football Away.....Again

The Pittsburgh Pirates do this to me every year.  Get off to a buzzworthy start, get the town a "little bit" excited about some Pirates baseball and then with the whole town watching on Opening Day, lose 7-1. 

In the words of the immortal Charlie Brown..."AUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH" (Not to be confused with a Pirate "Yarrrr")

Is it a coincidence that Charlie wears black and gold all the time?  His baseball team was always notorious for bad play, not all that uncommon to our Pirates here in the Steel City.

I know, I know, there is hope for the team on the horizon, but it'd be nice to actually do something good when everyone has their eyes on you.

Kudos to some of the players who did stand up and shoulder the blame after the game.  Neil Walker was quoted as saying, “I felt like I let the air out of the entire building.  I made Paul’s job a whole lot harder for him. I just blew it. A terrible play.”

I'm not naive enough to think this team is going to contend this year, but I was hoping this was the year where they at least reach competitive status.

Tomorrow's game should be an early barometer on how well they can bounce back from a poor outing.  I think it will show a lot about the mettle of the Pirates this year.

No comments: